A well-known Dublin twitter user (ExecutiveSteve) recounted this tale of his experience outside Ireland’s premier fast food outlet on the country’s capital street.
So I tweeted about this late last night when I came home from a lovely evening of music with friends but you were all mostly asleep. Strolling through town on a hot summer night and there’s a man overdosing on heroin right outside Supermac’s on O’Connell street. A syringe is hanging out of him; his two friends are begging someone to call an ambulance – my friend Avril gets on her phone right away. I’m banging on the door of Supermac’s trying to alert the security in there – he looks me in the eye and just shakes his head at me. That’s a few hundred yards from my front door, and there’s someone refusing to get involved with a dying man on their workplace doorstep.
Dublin City have pretty strict littering byelaws that apply to fast food restaurants – they risk big fines for any litter outside premises. They sweep the pavement for stray chips, trash and burger wrappers etc. Clearly a man just dying isn’t much of a priority though. Same street had thousands turn out at a vigil for “life” on it not 36 hours earlier. We got him in the recovery position, his friends secured the syringe, ambulance came very quickly, his breathing was deepening, hope he’s ok. But seriously, who on earth lets a human being just die on a pavement without calling 999, that security guy should be ashamed of himself.
And as soon as your man was being bundled into the ambulance his friends turned to each other to see how much gear they had left.